Lots of us spend a small fortune on hair products in order to make our hair look its best. Some of us are desperate to halt hair loss or cause new hairs to grow, so end up trying loads of different shampoos and products in an effort to stop thinning hair.
Hair loss is largely down to genetic factors, but other things can cause hair loss such as medication, hormones, nutrition, and thyroid disease. A sudden shock or stressful event could be the instigator of hair falling out. This type of hair loss typically shows up 3 months after the event and rights itself a few months after that.
Hair Loss Treatments
As well as topical herbal treatments, there are medical products that aim to stop hair loss. The problem with some of these is that they are so powerful that they can cause dangerous side effects. They might not even work after you put up with the negative side effects too.
It can be difficult to tell which products will work and which don't, especially if you expect fast results or try multiple treatments at once. Most treatments take time to work and shouldn't be used at the same time as other treatments, as you could increase your risk of side effects.
But if you follow this sensible advice, there are several herbal remedies for hair loss that you can try. These tend to be much gentler on the scalp as medical treatments but can be just as effective at preventing hair loss and causing hair regrowth.
If you have concerns about why you are losing hair it is wise to see a doctor or healthcare professional before trying herbal remedies or prescription-based products.
Herbal Remedies for Hair Growth
Here are a few natural hair loss remedies you could try to stop thinning and regrow hair:
- Ginkgo biloba – Full of antioxidants, Ginkgo biloba stimulates circulation around the follicles in order to strengthen the hair shaft.
- Polygonum Multiflorum – This Chinese herb has been in use for hundreds of years to reduce hair loss as well as promote hair growth, and is even said to restore hair to its natural color. There hasn't been any concrete scientific evidence behind it however, just anecdotal evidence.
- Topical aromatherapy applications – The theory behind aromatherapy use for hair loss is that by massaging the scalp with certain oils like lavender and rosemary, you stimulate blood flow in the scalp which aims to make follicles healthier. Although its probably the act of massaging rather than the essential oils used that has the benefits.
- Reishi mushroom – This is another Chinese herb said to help prevent the balding process. It can be bought in Chinese herb shops.
- Har Vokse – A powerful all in one hair loss prevention and hair regrowth product that has a spray that contains herbal ingredients like green tea and Centella Asiatica. It has undergone rigorous clinical testing to ensure it really does work for stopping balding in its tracks in both men and women.